Monday, January 17, 2011

Classroom Vote

I chose to wait and tell my students at school that I was pregnant until I was about 14 weeks along, but ever since then I have been getting questions like crazy.

"Does your husband know?"
"When are you due?"
"Have you told your husband yet?"
"How far along are you?"
"What will your husband say when he finds out?"

For some reason my students thought that I would tell my class before I told my husband. They were shocked to hear that I told Mr. G 10 weeks ago. The shock then turned to anger and hurt feelings that I didn't tell them sooner. They are so funny.

Another question I heard a lot was, "Is it a boy or a girl." Well, that is a question I wished I could answer but I couldn't because I wouldn't find out the gender until January 18. However, I thought I could use that question to get the kids involved in the pregnancy a little bit. I gave each student the chance to vote on whether they think the baby will be a boy or a girl. They had to write their name down in either the boy column or the girl column and color in the block across from their name either blue or pink depending on which column they chose.


The first vote was for a girl but after that the boys had the lead the rest of the way. I was amazed at how confident my student's were at what the gender was going to be. If they voted for a girl they would inform me that they know for a FACT I am having a girl. It was the same with the boy voters. How can they be so confident and yet I have absolutely no idea what I am having? Maybe I should just listen to my students and believe I am having a baby boy.

During the first 10 weeks or so I thought I would never make it to this point. I couldn't even imagine being 20 weeks a long and having the chance to see if our lil one is a boy or girl, but now we are only 1 day away from finding out.

The next 24 hours are going to feel like forever!!!

No comments: