Tuesday, June 14, 2011

God is so Good!!!

After what seems like the longest and shortest 9 months of my life we were introduced to Baby G on June 7 at 11:46 pm. I will never understand how someone could not believe in God after giving birth. Baby G is perfect in every possible way and he has already won over the hearts of his mom and dad. The first few days it was not uncommon to find Mr. G and I in tears just from pure happiness and thankfulness to God.
The delivery was a bit more dramatic then I had planned. Mr. G and I attended childbirth class once a week for 12 weeks trying to learn how to have a natural childbirth. We would drive an hour and a half once a week for class. We wanted to go through labor with Mr. G as my coach and then my mom was our assistant coach. She even had to attend class with us one week so that she would know her role. So when my contractions started I felt ready.
Contractions started about 11pm on June 6. They weren't really bad but they were strong enough to wake me up every 15-30 minutes. At that point I didn't know if this was the real thing or not, so I wasn't getting my hopes up. I was over due and was beginning to wonder if God had any intention of letting this baby live outside of my body. Apparently he did because around 7am on June 7 I got hit with a really strong painful contraction. I went to the bathroom and had bright red blood. At that point I knew this was it. I did as my birthing instructor told me and started doing different things to see if the contractions continued and if they got stronger. I took a shower, I laid down (not sleeping) and I went for a walk. I actually got a mile in, but trust me when I say it wasn't very fast. At this point my contractions were every 10-12 minutes and stronger than before. I called my husband around 8:30 and told him that I think I am in labor. He finished up with the client he had at that time then hurried home. I called my mom to inform her to pack and get ready because I am pretty sure that I am in labor.
Around 10:30 we decided to go ahead and pick up mom and head to the hospital because my contractions were every 5-6 minutes and our hospital was an hour and a half away. The drive there was miserable. At first I was ok, but the contractions were getting stronger and by the time we got to the hospital they were 3-4 minutes apart. We knew that the labor was moving quickly.
When I got checked at the hospital I was 5 cm and 100% effaced. My doctor believed I would have our baby by 6pm that night. My contractions continued to get stronger and closer together. My mom, Mr. G, and I tried to walk around the labor and delivery floor to help things along. We wanted to walk down to the nursery thinking it wouldn't take us that long. We had 45 minutes to get back to the room so that the nurse could check the baby's heart rate again. It took us all of 45 minutes to simply walk down the hall. I could only take about 5-10 steps before a contraction would hit. Then I would lean up against mom or Mr. G and the other one would massage my lower back. My lower back ended up being a thorn in my side through the whole labor. The back pain during each contraction was so bad that I had Mr. G massage a tennis ball into my back as hard as he possible could. He was doing that while my mom was massaging the top of my back. I continued to tell them to push harder and harder. Come to find out, Mr. G seriously thought if he pushed any harder he was going to break my back. I also had him doing counter pressure where he pushed in on my hips as hard as he could. I knew he was struggling because I could feel his arms shaking with each contraction. The problem was my contractions were now coming every 2 minutes or less and lasting a minute and a half or more. This left me with at most 30 seconds of a break between contractions. Sometimes I didn't even get a break as one contraction would go right into another one.
About that time I was moaning with each contraction, something I swore I would never do, but making the noise seemed to help distract me from the pain. About that time the doctor suggest breaking my water to speed things up. At first we said no because we wanted things to go naturally, but after a few more hours we went ahead and had my water broken. When they broke my water I was 6-7 cm and my water bag had already been bulging. At that point the contractions picked up even more. At times the pain would get so bad that I would throw up. This wasn't good because I didn't have an IV and I was struggling keeping fluids down. Then I got a new nurse who suggested I went in the shower and let warm water rest on my back and stomach. I thought she was absolutely crazy for asking me to move, but she believed it would help move along the labor. Only for that reason did I agree to it.
Lucky for Mr. G and my mom it gave them a break from having to rub my back constantly. The shower actually helped a lot. I was able to cope with the pain a lot better. My new nurse, Stephanie, started talking me through how to handle the contractions better. I became better about not tensing up with each contraction and letting the contraction do its job. Around this time is when I basically zoned out. I stopped making noise through the contraction. You couldn't even tell if I was having a contraction except that I couldn't talk back. My mom said that it was a eerie time for everyone because I didn't look like myself and was showing absolutely no emotion. I had to get out of the shower because they needed to check the baby's heart rate again. They checked my cervix again and I was still at 6-7cm. This was very disappointing. I tried sitting on the bed, which was my second most comfortable spot. Then the nurse suggested I go sit on the birthing ball. Was this lady crazy? I did as she said, again only because I thought it would speed labor along. On the birthing ball my contractions were the absolutely strongest. I tried to relax but since I was still getting less than 30 second breaks between contractions I was struggling. This had been going on for 5 hours now. It was about 9:30 and my doctor called and talked to me on the phone. He informed me that something is not right and that I should've already delivered by now. I had been in labor 24 hours and had been stuck at 6-7 cm for 5 hours having extremely hard contractions. He suggested I get an epidural to relax myself and and to allow the baby to come down better. He also wanted to give me pitocin. All of these interventions were not what Mr. G and I wanted but we were not making progress and I was exhausted so we decided to go with what the doctor suggested.
The hardest part was trying to sit absolutely still while the epidural was being administered. I was having contractions almost constantly at that point. Once it was finally in I was still feeling the contractions so the anesthesiologist gave me more medicine in my epidural. I had absolutely no pain at that point and I was back to my usual self except for the uncontrollable shakes that I had gotten. Come to find out I was extremely dehydrated from throwing up and not drinking enough. This caused me to have stronger contractions that lasted longer, but because of that I did not end up needing pitocin like the doctor thought. Within the next hour I progressed to 10 cm but through out that hour Mr. G, my mom, and I began to notice something funny with all the doctors and nurses. Many people kept coming into my room looking at the monitors. Everyone seemed concerned. They put an oxygen mask on me and kept saying that everything will be okay.
When my doctor showed up around 11:10 he was happy to hear that I was fully dilated, but informed me that my baby's heart rate is dropping seriously low with each contraction. He said that even though I don't have the urge to push we need to deliver this baby now. With that he went on to inform us that if I am unable to get the baby out myself that he will have to use forceps or a vacuum, both of which are very hard on the baby. He explained the risks of both and said that forceps usually are harder on the mom than on the baby, so we decided that if he had to, to use the forceps over the vacuum.
I began the pushing process during each contraction. I still had absolutely no feeling and I didn't know how hard I was pushing or if I was pushing in the right area. Each time I pushed the baby's heart rate would drop, sometimes even into the 40s. The doctor told me that I need to push this baby out now. I continued to try with no results. Then the doctor said that he had to intercede and he turned around to get the forceps. Right at that moment God stepped in and filled me with the strongest sensation to push. I quickly told the doctor that I feel like I need to push. He gave me the green light even though I wasn't having a contraction. With that I pushed lil Baby G out in 3 pushes and no forceps were needed. Praise God!!
They put him on my chest right away and there was not a dry eye in the room. My mom, Mr. G, me, and even the nurse was fighting back tears. Our lil man made it safe and sound and he was perfect. He weighed 7lbs 13 oz and was 21 inches long. He barely made it on June 7 being born at 11:46. He received a 9 on his apgar test and was perfectly healthy.
It has already been a week since his delivery and I still find myself looking back at that day and all it took to get Baby G here. Despite all the pain it was definitely worth it and I could do it a thousand times over if it meant that I would get Baby G.
I will show you a few pictures from the delivery that my mom was able to take during all the commotion. But let me finish by saying:

This is after the epidural. We are all keeping a close eye on Baby G's heart rate.

You can kind of see the oxygen mask on my face hoping that will help with Baby G's heart rate.

We were fighting the clock hoping that Baby G would come before midnight.

And he did.

This is Mr.G cutting the cord.

It was an emotional time for all of us. We could not of been happier!

Looking at our lil boy for the first time is something we will always remember. What a miracle from God.

He was healthy and I was thrilled.
How could this precious being just have been in my belly a few minutes earlier? Only God knows!

Mr. G finishing his cut. Look at all that hair!!

They rounded up and called Baby G 7lbs 13oz. Perfect healthy size.

1 comment:


You described it so well that we can actually live it ! Congratulations!