Monday, August 15, 2011

Love



Being a first time mom and getting to stay home with my precious lil boy has been absolutely wonderful, but also a learning experience. I remember Baby G's first 3 weeks at home and how anal I was about getting everything done. I wanted all the clothes washed, the dishes done, and the house picked up by the time my hubby got home from work. I also wanted to make sure I was stimulating Baby G as much as possible through out the day. After 3 weeks I realized that I was not enjoying being a mom like I thought I would. I wasn't enjoying my baby like I should've been. During that time I was reading the Duggars new book, A Love That Multiplies, and I came across a poem that hit me square in the face. Needless to say, I changed my ways. I spend most of my day playing with Baby G. I do what I can around the house when Baby G is napping but I do not stress myself out about getting certain things done each day. I am way more laid back and I think Baby G is benefiting more from that then a stressed out mama with a spotless house. And praise God that my husband agrees. Here is the poem I was telling you about. It now hangs on my refrigerator as a reminder of what love is.

Love
If I live in a house of spotless beauty with everything in its place,
but have not love -- I am a housekeeper, not a homemaker.
If I have time for waxing, polishing, and decorative achievements,
but have not love -- my children learn of cleanliness, not godliness.
Love leaves the dust in search of a child's laugh.
Love smiles at the tiny fingerprints on a newly cleaned window.
Love wipes away the tears before it wipes up the spilled milk.
Love picks up the child before it picks up the toys.
Love is present through trials.
Love reprimands, reproves, and is responsive.
As a mother there is much I must teach my child,
but the greatest of all is ...LOVE.

No comments: